- Facilitates breathing: A good posture naturally enables you to breathe properly.
- Increases concentration and thinking ability: When you are breathing properly, you increase your thinking ability too. More air, more oxygen. More oxygen, more brain food. More brain food leads to more thoughts and ideas.
- Improve your image: People with good postures look smarter and more attractive. Someone with a good posture naturally exudes an aura of assertiveness and appeal.
- Feel even better about yourself: When you have a good posture, it helps to make you feel more self-confident, without even doing anything else different. Try sitting in a bad posture now for 30 seconds. Now, switch to a good posture for 30 seconds as well. Is there any difference in how you felt?
- Avoid health complications: A bad posture results in several complications over time, such as increased risks of slipped disc, back aches, back pain, pressure inside your chest, poor blood circulation.
Get a good chair at the workplace
Eliminate bad habits that cultivate bad postures (i.e. no exercise, sleeping on your stomach)
Treat yourself to a massage (head, shoulder, and back)
Invest in a good bed and pillow
Ground your feet when sitting or standing
Those are only a few suggestions, but the long term benefits will be great! I always thought my father was just a proud man because he walked with his head held high and his shoulders and back straight. While, this may be true, he is also fully aware of the benefits from having such a stature. So I plan to follow suit and try to stay conscious in my posture. I will admit, it is a little uncomfortable at first, but hopefully sooner than later it will become natural habit. I hope this little tid bit of info was helpful to you and that you will also take heed.
Have a great weekend!